Pinocchio (1940) – Part One.
What a difference three years can make. Pinocchio premiered in 1940, and despite the massive advancement in animation skill and technology, it was a commercial flop because of bad timing. This time around we talk about World War II, why Geppetto has a Germen accent, and why Stromboli is a problem. Part Two is coming on January 25th, 2023.
Note: We reference some deleted scenes that can be found under the Extras menu on Disney+. Other sources you might find useful:
- Buy Pinocchio on DVD
- Disney Fandom Wiki
- Wikipedia: The Adventures of Pinocchio
- Wikipedia: When You Wish Upon a Star
- Rogert Ebert’s 1998 Review
- The Hollywood Reporter’s 1940 Review
- The Adventures of Pinocchio on Project Gutenberg
- Buy The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
- Once Upon a Time
- A list of Jiminy Cricket’s educational serials
- The Library of Congress National Film Registry